Can you believe over 5.5 million tourists flocked to the stunning Halong Bay in the last year and with over half of the tourists visiting from overseas, Halong Bay is high on the list of the ‘must see’ destination in the beautiful Vietnam.
The Bay is known for its thousands of tiny limestone islands, all perfectly surrounded by crystal blue waters and green, lush vegetation. Situated in the North east of Vietnam, Halong Bay is popular for scuba diving, rock climbing and hiking.
With so much on offer it is difficult to choose what to do to make the most of your time around this unique and diverse part of Vietnam.
We have put together our favourite Top five things to do in Halong Bay.
1. Halong Bay Boat Trip - Depending on what kind of sailing adventure you want will greatly help you with your boat trip decision. From an overnight stay on a traditional junk boat to spending the sailing the many tiny islands there is so much choice when it comes to selecting the best way for you to spend time on the water. We simply love the idea of spending a night or two on a beautiful traditional junk boat, drive into the emerald waters in the day and then relax sipping cocktails whilst watching the sun set over this special place. Your tour operator will be able to take care of all the booking for you too, hassle free relaxing!
2. Explore gigantic caves - You will be spoilt for choice when it comes to finding spectacular and impressive caves to explore in Halong Bay. Caves so vast you will be in awe of their beauty. Sung Sot Caves are a popular tourist attraction, with 3 huge chambers and the chance to get up close to caves which date back thousands of years. The journey to the caves will see you pass limestone islands topped with small rainforest clusters. Be prepared to climb steps and hike through the epic paths and chambers of the natural wonders of Halong Bay.
3. Find your own tiny island - With over 3000 tiny islands mapping out the landscape of Halong Bay you will be able to find an island to hike and call your own sanctuary. Some islands are so tiny that exploring is off limits but others offer you the chance to jump ashore and explore. Hon Ga Choi Island is a perfect example of a hidden gem. The island is known for its unusual layout and is one of the most photographed in Halong Bay; from a certain angle it is said to look like two chickens kissing! A good four hour boat trip lands you at the foot of this impressive rock formation.
4. Dinner with a view - Halong Bay is the best place in Vietnam to enjoy dinner with a view. Dine in style and take in the view across nearly 3000 tiny islands lapped by emerald water. We love panorama restaurant, large windows curve the restaurant giving diners views they can only dream of. Great traditional and European food make for a fabulous evening.
5. Relax in style - With such beautiful views and fresh sea air and after you have explored tiny islands and swam in the sea, relaxing should be high on the list. There are so many amazing places to stay in Halong Bay. Relax in a spa, lay by the pool and sip cocktails whilst looking out across the bay. The opulent Vinpearl Ha Long Bay Resort will offer you the chance to indulge in relaxation. Glorious rooms, fantastic service and views to remember forever.
Halong Bay really is a place waiting to be discovered, it offers so much more than you would ever expect. What are you waiting for?