Halong Bay is the perfect place to enjoy a beautiful boat trip. Situated in North East Vietnam it is a recognised UNESCO world heritage site.
Over 3000 tiny limestone islands topped with mini rainforests make up the stunning landscape of this unique area. One of the most photographed areas in Vietnam, you will not fail to be impressed with this stunning location.
Taking a boat trip around Halong Bay is one of the best ways to experience all it has to offer. You will be able to explore islands, trek through gigantic thousand year old caves or simply swim in the emerald waters.
With over 200 different boats to book your trip, the decision can be a daunting prospect.
We have put together a few hints and tips to ensure you find choose the best boat trip for your unique experience in Halong Bay.
1. How much time do you have? If you only have a day in Halong Bay a lovely lunchtime cruise maybe the best option for you, you can take in the best of the bay, swim in the waters and enjoy traditional lunch. If you have more time to spend why not spend one or two nights aboard a traditional junk boat? You will be able to cruise amongst tiny islands and watch the sunset whilst sipping cocktails.
2. What would you like to see? Three different bays make up Halong Bay, all offering beautiful views and landscapes. Halong Bay is noxiously busy with tourists so choosing another bay to sail around may offer you a more personal experience. The bays of Bai Tu Long and La Han Bay offer cruises around the many tiny limestone islands.
3. What is included in your boat trip? Many boat trips will offer a package as part of your tour. You will want to double check the itinerary and see what is included, some boat trips will offer drinks and lunch and others will include a full eight course traditional evening meal. You may even get to take part in a cookery class or Tai Chi lesson onboard. Always check what you are getting for your tour and ensure you are happy with it too.
4. Know your budget. Being aware of how much you have to spend will greatly dictate what kind of cruise you will be able to book. Your tour operator will be able to ensure you stick to any budget and make the booking for you. However it is always worth asking around and ensuring you are not paying too much for your trip, hotel concierge are typically very helpful.
5. How to book your boat trip? The best way to book your boat trip is through your tour guide, they will have access to the best prices and know which boats offer the best activities for your budget. If you are booking the tour directly, it is worth going straight to the boat tour company, hotels or local travel agencies will often charge you more and they do not have your best interests at heart.
Booking a boat tour around Halong Bay is such a fantastic way to experience this world heritage site.