As the capital of Vietnam, Hanoi offers so many exciting opportunities to experience the best of what the beautiful country has to offer. A city full of diverse people, ancient temples, coffee shops, each offering you many options for you to ensure you get the most of visiting the capital city.
Hanoi is home to temples, museums and perfectly manicured gardens. There is something to keep everyone happy on your Vietnam tour.
We have put together our top 10 places to visit so you can make the most of your time in the city of Hanoi.
1. Hoan Kiem Lake - At the centre of Hanoi sits Hoan Kiem Lake, it is a place where the locals head to for relaxation. In the centre of the lake sits the temple of Ngoc Son, you can stroll across the bright red bridge and take in the beautiful surroundings. Hoan Kiem lake is a place to sit and relax away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
2. Hoa Lo Prison: The Hanoi Hilton - A unique opportunity to explore and learn about this French built former prison. Built in the 1800’s the prison now displays a show of honest and true accounts of how hard prison life was. A harrowing account of prison life.
3. National Museums of Vietnamese history - This impressive French colonial building houses a plethora of interesting artifacts. Beautifully organized, comprehensive in its coverage of Vietnamese history from prehistoric times through dynastic periods to the colonial era and post-colonial times, this museum has it all.
4. Marvel at Nha To Cathedral - This vast deep grey building stands grand within Hanoi and you will certainly be left impressed. Walk inside and you will be greeted with a spectacular alter, white washed walls and crafted ceilings. This cathedral is the perfect place for quiet time and reflection.
5. Get educated at Van Mieu (Temple of Literature) - The temple dates back to the 10th century and is home to some beautiful scrolls and fine arts. A lovely place to take in some Vietnamese history and stunning fine arts.
6. Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum - The Mausoleum is one of the most important historical attractions in Hanoi. Honouring President Ho Chi Minh, many locals and tourists flock here to pay their respects. The large grey building dominates the skyline of the area and is impressive.
7. Tran Quoc Pagoda - Build in the 6th century this impressive buddhist temple is a charming array of islands which are home to numerous shrines. Surrounded by water and green leafy trees, this is a place to relax and contemplate. The singular beautifully decorated shrines depict time and history.
8. Bach Ma Temple - An elaborate temple founded in the 10th century, Bach Ma is full of ornate gold and multi coloured inspired statues; from wonderful golden birds to impressively decorated walls and ceilings. A true hidden gem not to be missed.
9. Hanoi Botanical Garden - This large, tranquil park is graced with walkways, playgrounds and ample space to sit back and enjoy a locally sourced picnic. Watch the locals take part in Tai Chi or walk around and enjoy the wonderful plants and trees.
10. Hanoi Zoo - This wonderful cute zoo is home to many species of animals exclusive to Asia. Marvel over exotic birds, snakes and monkeys. A lovely place for all the family and the perfect escape from the busy streets of Hanoi.
Hanoi gives you the chance to wonder around temples, take shelter from the heat in interesting museums or simply walk in the footsteps of thousands of years of history in its many temples.