Been given several renovations so it looks new, but Wihan Phra Mongkhon Bophit is actually an ancient temple with a long history since Ayutthaya kingdom. Phra Mongkhon Bophit, a large bronze Buddha image, was originally enshrined outside the Grand Palace to the east until King Songtham commanded it to be transferred to the west (current location), and enshrined inside a Mondop (a tier-top atructure). Later in the reign of Phra Chao Suea, the top of the Mondop was damaged by lightning so the structure was reconstructed into its current form. The temple was severely damaged during the second Ayutthaya-Burmese war and left ruined until it was given a grand renovation in 1956 by following the form of its original structure. The space of on the east of the wihan was once used as a field for royal cremation ceremonies.